Gerald R. Austin – Ph:(423)914-1481 Call or Text for more info.
Thirty-seven years in the welding industry. Industry sectors worked include Maintenance, Repair, Fabrication and Inspection. I have worked as an inspector, welder, manager, and educator for during my career and have extensive experience related to welding, inspection, and QA/QC. I am passionate about my trade.
Summary of Experience and Qualifications
- Experienced in Project Quality Supervision, Quality Assurance, Quality Control, Visual Inspection, Procurement, Specification Preparation, and Document Control. I have performed inspection in accordance with various codes and standards including but not limited to IBC (Various Years), AISC 360-10, ASME Sec I, ASME Sec VIII, ANSI B31.1/3, API 620, API 650, API 1104, RCSC, and various military standards.
- Performed vendor surveillance as an owner representative for fabrication and installation of Structural Steel, TEMA Heat Exchangers, Boiler and Pressure Vessel Components, Piping Systems, and large fabricated steel structures.
- Developed Written Quality Systems for three organizations performing welder performance testing which led to certification as AWS Accredited test facilities in accordance with the AWS QC4 Standard.
- Participated in quality system reviews as both an auditor and rep. of the organization being audited.
- Extensive Knowledge of Welding Technology from both a practical and theoretical point of view. Proficient with the setup and operation of various welding processes including GTAW, SMAW, FCAW, GMAW, OFW, and SAW. Materials welded include Inconel, Monel, Carbon Steel, Hastalloy , Austenitic SS, Ferritic SS, Aluminum , NiAlBronze, Copper Nickel, Stellite, and Duplex SS .
- Oct 2016 to Present. Self Employed DBA Welding Inspection and Testing Services Greeneville Tn.
- Nov 2017-Dec 17. Pipe Welder, TEC, Kingsport Tn. US Nitrogen Project.
- Jul 2017 to Oct 2017- Quality Control Manager for Premier Industrial Group, Kingsport TN
- Jan. 2017 to Sep 2017. AWS Accredited Test Facility Tech. Assistant for Northeast State Comm. College.
- June 2014 to 24 Oct 2016. Director of Welding Education and Training Walters State Community College
- July 2010 to June 2014. Maintenance Pipe Welder for Packaging Corporation of America, Counce Tenn.
- Sep 2008 to April 2014. Adjunct Welding Instructor for Northeast Mississippi Community College.
- March 2001 to June 2014 Self-employed-DBA Welding Inspection Services, Iuka Ms.
- Aug 2006 to Sep 2007 Quality Control Inspector for PSP Monotech, Iuka Mississippi.
- Oct 2004 to Aug 2006 Welder, CAD Designer, Webmaster, and Purchaser for Wrights Marine Const. Pickwick Tn.
- Feb 2003 to Oct 2004 Various Boiler Outages and SCR Construction in the SE United States.
- Feb 2001 to Feb 2003, Contract Inspector for QBEK Inspection, PV Inspection, and Footbridge Inc.
- November 2000 to Jan 2001 Welder for US Boiler and Tube, FT Payne Alabama.
- November 1999 to November 2000. Quality Control Manager and Database Administrator for Prosser Modules, Glen Arm Maryland/Iuka Mississippi. Plant Closed
- July 1998 to Nov. 1999. Various short term projects in the southeast as a QC inspector and Welder.
- July 1997 to June 1998 Quality Control Manager for PSP Industries in Iuka, Miss.
- November 1993 to July 1997: Pipe/Tube welder and Quality Control Inspector For Various Construction Companies in the Southeast United States.
- November 1991 to November 1993: Manager of Quality Assurance and Welding Engineering for Zurn Air Systems, Birmingham, Alabama. (Now Clarage, Pulaski Tn)
- March 1989 to November 1991: QC Inspector/Weld Tech. for US Boiler & Tube Co. Inc. Ft. Payne Ala.
- April 1988 to March 1989: Welder and Apprentice Machinist at Lambs Machine Works, Memphis Tenn.
- October 1982 to April 1988: Hull Maintenance Tech and Nuclear Power Plant Welder , US Navy.
- 1980 to 1982 Welder (Part Time) for Coleman Engineering, Memphis Tenn. High School Job
- Education and Certification
- Self Study for the AWS CWI Exam. No formal classes ever taken on the subject. Passed the complete test 3 times. I am deeply familiar with welding technology.
- MS Office Specialist MS Access (wxveR-22uB), and MS Word (wvrYY-Hahu)
- Completed OSHA 30 and MSHA 24 (Surface, metals)
- Completed UT Level I training with GE Inspection Technologies.
- Completed Required Training for ASNT Level II Certification in Magnetic Particle and Liquid Penetrant Examination Methods.
- Completed 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year Boilermaker Apprentice Training.
- Completed training courses for Nuclear Steam Generator Repairs including welding qualifications and radiological control practices. Qualified as Radiation Control point watch while on active duty.
- Completed Navy Nuclear Power Plant Components Welder Course, US Navy “C” School. 30-Weeks.
- Attended Hull Maintenance Technician Class “A” School. (11 weeks self paced, Completed in 6.)
- 1200 Hours of welding training at Kingsbury Vocational Center in Memphis, Tenn. (Honor Student)
- Graduated Craigmont High School, Memphis, Tenn., 1982 in top 25 % of Class.
Skills and Abilities
... inspection of various products in accordance with industry codes, customer provided specifications, or design drawings. Experienced with various AWS Codes, ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Codes, International Building Codes, API Codes, American Iron and Steel Institute and others
...develop written quality systems for organizations utilizing welding as a part of their manufacturing, construction, or maintenance.
...provide vendor/subcontractor survey inspections in accordance with customer requirements.
...provide training for inspectors for visual inspection of welding and fabrication including development of online courses using learning management systems.
...weld most commercially available metal alloys including structural and piping using SMAW, GTAW, FCAW,GMAW, SAW and OFW. .
… repair/install various types of industrial equipment using pipefitting and millwright skills.
… perform various metal fabrication practices including Hot and Cold Forming, Layout, Shearing, Punching, Milling, Drilling, Turning (Lathe), and Polishing.
… create CAD drawings of products using 3D modeling software.
… manage weld related data using various software packages including CSPEC and TWI Products. (Prior Contracted Customer Service Rep for CSPEC)
… perform tasks from design, fabrication, and erection drawings.
… perform boilermaking tasks including tube/header installation, cut, arc gouge, bend tubes, rig and other related tasks.
… certify in UT and Radiographic film interpretation if required.
… train individuals for welding with knowledge skills related to welding and allied processes
… prepare written procedures supporting quality policies related to welding and fabrication.
… evaluate and suggest the latest in welding equipment or related metal fabrication equipment.
… I am computer literate with experience in application development, Internet and Intranet website development, and industry related computer programs. I operate Weldingclassroom.org and Weldingdata.com.